In a hurry or know what you are doing with wireless networks? This is all you will need!
What you need:
- A Wireless Laptop or PDA
Harlaxton has a fully compatible Wi-Fi network; thus almost any Wi-Fi certified wireless network card or wireless laptop will work on the network. The wireless network supports 802.11g (backwards compatible with 802.11b) and can support 802.11a although this is presently disabled.
- Up-to-Date Security Protection
In order to ensure that our network remains stable we ask all users to ensure that their virus, spam, firewall, etc. protection is up-to-date and enabled.
- A Campus Network Login Account
All students, faculty and staff are given a Harlaxton Network Account Login. New users should refer to their arrival packet for this information. The same username/password is used for wireless access and lab PC access. Guests or non-registered users can access the wireless network, albeit it with limited facilities, by entering their email address.
- Install your wireless network card by following the manufacturer's instructions. We recommend that you use Windows Wireless Management instead of the manufacturer's utility to manage the wireless card.
- For a network name (SSID) use "Harlaxton".
- Open your web browser, and you will automatically be redirected to the secure wireless login site. Enter your Harlaxton account information to authenticate to the wireless network, after which you should be able to access the internet.
The "Harlaxton" network provides standard insecure wireless connectivity. Please be aware that other users with appropriate tools can 'sniff' your data. Therefore, when entering personal details, please ensure you are using a secure SSL enabled (https://) connection.