As the British Campus of the University of Evansville, we contribute to fulfilling the overall Mission of the University; while at the same time our distinctive location and programs evoke an equally distinctive statement of the Mission of Harlaxton College.
At Harlaxton College, therefore, we share with the University of Evansville
- a dedication to active learning and scholarship;
- a commitment to the liberal arts and sciences as a basis for intellectual and personal growth;
- an endeavour to prepare women and men for lives of personal/ professional service and leadership;
- a belief in the value, resilience, and creative potential of the independent college and university;
- an honouring of historic Judeo-Christian values that have shaped England and that have created the Methodist Church, born in our home County of Lincolnshire;
- an emphasis on undergraduate education in the liberal arts and sciences and select professional programs;
- a talented and motivated student body and faculty;
- a realization of a low student-faculty ratio, close student-faculty interaction, and personal attention as aids to optimal learning;
- a faith in the liberating power of learning as a means to surmount ignorance, bigotry, and prejudice;
- a commitment to learning for all and for life.
And at Harlaxton College, we offer to our students, to the University and to our several constituencies
- a truly distinctive emphasis on international community and global vision;
- a welcoming spirit that reaches out to our local communities with The Harlaxton Hospitality, primarily through personal, educational, and cultural sharing;
- a unique facility in Harlaxton Manor that is itself a significant teacher, surrounding our students and presenting our neighbours with their own history in stone, with a noble beauty in house and grounds, and with a sense of identity in their heritage;
- a focused curriculum that blends interdisciplinary emphasis on Britain and Europe with specialty courses in the traditional academic disciplines—a curriculum compatible with and complementing those of the University and our Partner Colleges, so that students may come from virtually any academic major and continue progress toward their degrees;
- a true and virtually unique community of learners and learning, at every level of a shared life among students, faculty, and staff;
- a rich environment in the British Midlands, offering a daily experience of “real England”: in family life; in the life of countryside and villages, market towns and cities; in churches and schools and sport; in markets and pubs;
- access, in a compact nation with good systems of public transport, to the cultural riches of a truly civilized people who value their arts, literature, scientific inquiry, and historical-architectural heritage;
- the benefits of sponsored and independent travel to some storied places of ancient and modern worlds: Oxford, Cambridge, Lincoln, Nottingham, Stratford-upon-Avon, York, Stonehenge, Edinburgh, London, and the Continent;
- a dedicated staff, experienced and aware of the cultural exchange brought by our American students and faculty.
We therefore accept and affirm the distinctive mission of Harlaxton College
- To serve the University and our Cooperating Colleges as a superb study-abroad campus, second to none;
- Through rigorous disciplinary and interdisciplinary courses, and particularly through our core emphasis on Britain and Europe, to lead our students into a deeper appreciation of the life of the mind and of our history and heritage as an English-speaking people;
- Through readings, day-to-day life in Britain, contacts with English families and friends and social institutions, and sponsored and independent travel, to lead our students to a greater global vision, helping them transcend provincialism and parochialism and to understand their own society in a wider and richer context;
- Recognizing the unique nature of life and study in Harlaxton Manor, an historic house which in and of itself is a vital teaching tool, to lead our students into deeper historic and aesthetic appreciation for their life environments;
- To create vitality in opportunities for our staff and faculty, encouraging their professional growth and helping them know their value as contributors to the worthy purposes of a worthy cause;
- To hold and maintain in trust, for the University and for the community , the unique historic structure and grounds of Harlaxton College.
- By extending The Harlaxton Hospitality to our neighbours—local and international—to use the Manor in ways appropriate to our educational mission and civic responsibilities, for the benefit of all.
Through participation in an integrated community of learners at every level—students, faculty, staff—to teach our students at every moment of every day, so that their formal educational experiences, their student life experiences, their living environments in and out of the Manor, their travel, all contribute in an intentional, energizing, exciting way to the wholeness of their learning in The Harlaxton Experience.
7th March 2003